There’s something enriching and enticing about the slow yet luxurious train journeys. While the interior decor, and cutlery give you a vintage feel, the experience of traversing through the landscape provides a peek into the nation’s heart and soul. Here are five epic train journeys from around the world for you to explore:
- The Reunification Express line, Vietnam: This historic 1000 mile line, also known as the North-South railway is one of Southeast Asia’s popular railways that connects Hanoi in the north of Vietnam to Ho Chi Minh city in the South. A vital lifeline in war and peace, it derives its spirit from the reunification of two nations separated by the Vietnam War. The two-day train journey traverses through paddy fields, fishing villages, dense jungles, crowded neighbourhoods giving a panoramic peek into Viet life as you enjoy your Vietnamese spread onboard.
- Maharaja Express, India: This luxurious train of the Indian subcontinent takes its passengers on luxury trips to top destinations in India, serving seven different journeys across the country. The most famous route is the ‘Heritage of India’, an 8-day trip that covers a distance of 876 miles starting in Mumbai, visiting ancient forts, palaces, and various UNESCO World Heritage sites, and even wildlife viewing in National parks, before ending in Delhi. The train comprises of 14 carriages whose interiors are curated with a mix of royal and contemporary designs.
- Qinghai – Tibet Railway, China: The 1225 mile Qinghai-Tibet railway is the highest train journey in the world, with more than 600 miles at an elevation of more than 13,123 feet above sea level with almost half of the tracks built on permafrost. The rail journey officially begins in Xining, the capital of Qinghai province, whisking past high-altitude lakes, vast plains and mountain pass to reach Tibet. Due to the high altitude at which the train travels, the train is pressurized, supplied with oxygen altimeters, and sealed. The ultraviolet filters of the windows protect the passengers from harmful UV radiation. It would be advisable to carry along some medication for altitude sickness, which is quite common among travellers on this train.
- Golden Eagle, Moscow to Tehran: The warming of relations between the West and Iran has facilitated this new service between two of the world’s most enigmatic capital cities. The 18-day sumptuous journey passes through Russia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and Turkmenistan to reach Iran, pausing intermittently to visit ancient sites and cities that throw a glimpse into a rarely encountered world. This must be one of the few luxury trains where champagne is banned during the journey.
- Glacier Express, Switzerland: This railway line which connects Switzerland’s two of the most scenic mountain resorts, Zermatt and St. Morris, is the most relaxing way to enjoy the stunning scenery of Swiss Alps. The day-long trip covers a staggering 91 tunnels and 291 bridges, as it moves past alpine meadows, pristine mountain lakes, and picturesque hamlets. The journey’s highlights include Oberalp Pass, the highest point of the ride, and Landwasser Viaduct – a magnificent six-arch structure standing 200 feet and plunging into a tunnel cut straight into the mountainside.
These epic train journeys are an ideal bet for your vacation if you wish to spend some quality time with your close family or friends. You can forge some new bonds and carve a few unforgettable memories during these enthralling rail journeys. While planning for vacations abroad, it is highly recommended to buy a travel insurance policy to take care of any risks or losses that might occur during the trip. The policy is meant to protect you and your loved ones from unforeseen situations.
Bajaj Allianz travel insurance policies on Finserv MARKETS provide higher coverage at relatively lower premiums. The Bajaj Allianz Individual travel insurance policy offers a cover of up to $10,00,000 for emergency medical expenses during an individual’s international travel. Similarly, a cover of up to $5,00,000 can be claimed by the insured under Family travel insurance for medical emergencies while travelling abroad with family. These policies also come with a host of attractive benefits like reimbursement for trip cancellation, trip curtailment cover, trip delay coverage, home burglary coverage and several more.
While planning for a vacation abroad can keep you excited, you cannot deny the importance of a good travel insurance policy that best fits your international travel requirements. So, ensure that you purchase one such travel insurance covers before you can head abroad to create memories, and make the most of your holiday with your family.
“Finserv MARKETS, from the house of Bajaj Finserv is an exclusive online supermarket for all your personal and financial needs. Loans, Insurance, Investment and exclusive EMI store, all under one roof- anytime, anywhere”!