A bike owner loves and closely guards his bike, whether it’s a shining brand new bike just out of the showroom or a used one purchased from someone else. For your second-hand bike to serve you well, run smoothly and to have a long-lasting life, it must be regularly maintained. If you just take care of a few basics and are consistent in following these rules, owning a used two-wheeler can be an enjoyable experience.
Each component of the two-wheeler has its own important role to play and we have to take care of these components so it performs on an optimum level. If you are really serious about increasing your bike’s lifespan and improving performance, follow these 5 simple ways and enjoy your ride for many years to come.
But before you do that, ensure that you have renewed your two-wheeler insurance. With Bajaj Allianz bike insurance available on Bajaj Finserv MARKETS, you can renew your policy online in just a few minutes. Even if your policy has lapsed, there’s no need to bring your vehicle for inspection. You can buy the bike insurance plan online and receive the soft copy of the policy in your mail within minutes.
5 ways to increase the lifespan of your bike
Here are simple five ways that will help you increase the lifespan of your second-hand bike.
- Keep it clean: We don’t say cleanliness is next to godliness for nothing. A motorcycle or automobile is one that is clean. Dirt, grime, mud and other particles corrode the bike’s frame and structure and can even get into the engine and fuel tank causing major damage. Mud can also damage the chain and paints. A clean bike is not only long-lasting but it looks more cheerful and uplifting to your senses when you ride. Make it a habit to clean your favourite ride at least once a week.
- Regular change of engine oil: Engine oil is crucial to the smooth functioning of your bike as it creates needed lubrication in the engine components and parts, and protects the engine from wear and tear. It also cleans and cools down the engine regularly to increase its life. Changing the engine oil periodically ensures that the right viscosity is maintained to help the engine function smoothly. Therefore, ensure that you are using the right engine oil as recommended by the manufacturer.
- The spark plug: A bike’s ignition system may rarely fail unless the battery is exhausted or the spark plug is dirty or loose. A well-maintained spark plug not only ensures smooth ignition but is crucial to engine performance. If there is a problem with your spark plug, you will have difficulty starting your two-wheeler and you will experience reduced power and mileage.
Periodic cleaning of the spark plug is important and highly recommended. Look for the accumulation of grime, dust and carbon particles on the electrodes. You also need to check if there is a sufficient gap between the electrodes in your spark plug using a thin wire. Ideally, a spark plug when removed should be a shade of orange colour if running efficiently. If it’s white then your engine is probably overheating. If you want to ensure optimum engine performance, increase mileage, and avoid sputtering and overheating, make sure your spark plug is performing at its best.
No matter how old your two-wheeler is, it’s mandatory according to law to get two wheeler insurance before you hit the road. The government rules are stricter now and fines can be crippling. You can buy Bajaj Allianz bike insurance at Bajaj Finserv MARKETS starting as low as Rs. 1389 per year for your second-hand bike.
- Air Filter: The air filter feeds the engine with clean air but when it’s clogged with dust, dirt and grime, it can’t work efficiently. As the engine needs oxygen to burn fuel and generate torque (power), the presence of dust and dirt can interfere with the combustion process. If dust and sand enter the engine it can also damage the piston. Therefore, ensure that your two-wheeler’s air filter is regularly changed and cleaned.
- Drive chain: Your motorcycle’s chain is one of the most important components and goes through a lot of beating, yet it is one of the most neglected. It has to handle heat, dirt, water, mud, dust and all the things that the road throws at it. To ensure a long life for your bike, make sure that your motorcycle’s chain is clean and well-lubricated, as well as properly tightened. A loose, dirty or stiff drive chain can lead to loss of power and fuel efficiency while putting your engine through undue stress leading to a shortened lifespan for your two-wheeler. An ill-maintained chain can also damage the sprockets, which is quite expensive to replace.
Apart from the above-mentioned points, you have to be proactive in the maintenance and repair of your bike. Don’t procrastinate and be negligent in fixing things as more delay can cause bigger damages and can be expensive. Also, avoid too many modifications as it can interfere with the performance and structural integrity of the bike and lower its lifespan. Lastly, buy bike insurance online on time every year to avoid violating traffic rules and running the risk of a huge liability in case of own or third-party damage. Get your two-wheeler insurance with a reputed insurer such as Bajaj Allianz bike insurance that allows cashless claims through a large network of 4000+ garages across India.
Also, read about zero depreciation bike insurance to understand if you need this cover.
Read our top blogs to know more about two wheeler insurance in India:
Finserv MARKETS, from the house of Bajaj Finserv, is an exclusive online supermarket for all your personal and financial needs. We understand that every individual is different and thus when you plan to achieve your life goals or shop for the gadget of your dreams, we believe in helping you Make it Happen in a few simple clicks. Simple and fast loan application processes, seamless, hassle-free claim-settlements, no cost EMIs, 4 hours product delivery and numerous other benefits. Loans, Insurance, Investment and an exclusive EMI store, all under one roof – anytime, anywhere!