In today’s time, one of the major concerns faced by a large segment of India’s population is the inaccessibility to proper healthcare facilities. With an intent to resolve this issue, the Government of India launched the Ayushman Bharat Yojna on September 23rd, 2018. The primary objective of Ayushman Bharat Yojana, also known as PM Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), is to extend healthcare facilities to over 10 crore families living below the poverty line. PMJAY- Ayushman Bharat is the largest government-funded healthcare scheme in the world and it offers a health insurance cover of Rs. 5 Lakh per family per annum. An approximate of 50 crore citizens are expected to benefit from the PMJAY scheme. Let us have a close look at the eligibility criteria pertaining to the PMJAY scheme.
Eligibility Criteria for Ayushman Bharat
The beneficiaries of PMJAY scheme are selected on the basis of the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) of 2011. The SECC takes into consideration various factors that are mentioned below:
- Literacy rate
- Average household income
- Poverty levels
- Occupational profiles
- Predominant location
- Access to schooling
- Access to housing
- Sanitation, drinking water, and electricity
There is no registration process for the PMJAY scheme as it is an entitlement-based scheme. Families that are eligible for PMJAY according to SECC 2011 database, can avail cashless treatment in both private as well as government hospitals.
Ways to check the eligibility
- By PM-JAY Kiosk through the ‘Am I Eligible’ application.
- By calling the call center number 14555 of the Ayushman Bharat Yojana.
- By logging on to mera.pmjay.gov.in
Once the eligibility is confirmed, the beneficiary is directed to the PMJAY Kiosk where the Pradhan Mantri Arogya Mitra (PMAM) will verify the beneficiary’s identity and eligibility using the Beneficiary Identification System (BIS). Once this is cleared, the beneficiaries are issued an e-card.
Treatment at the hospital
- PMAM informs the beneficiary about the total expense of treatment. Depending upon the severity of the illness, the beneficiary shall either be prescribed medical drugs or suggested hospitalization.
- It is to be noted that if the beneficiaries are not hospitalized and just prescribed general medicines, then they will have to bear the consultations and drug charges.
- However, if the condition is critical and demands hospitalization, then the beneficiaries can avail cashless treatment within the empaneled hospital.
- On completion of the treatment, the beneficiary will be discharged from the hospital.
Now that you have checked your eligibility, learn more about the Ayushman Bharat registration process.
One of the major advantages of PMJAY scheme is that it also covers pre-existing diseases. To sum it up, Ayushman Bharat Yojana is a great initiative taken by the Government of India to provide quality healthcare treatment to the financially weaker section of the country. This scheme will certainly improve the quality of life of the weaker sections of society by providing the required insurance.
“Finserv MARKETS, from the house of Bajaj Finserv is an exclusive online supermarket for all your personal and financial needs. Loans, Insurance, Investment and exclusive EMI store, all under one roof- anytime, anywhere”!