When the entire world was busy welcoming the ultimate year of the second decade of the 21st century, an unknown virus took over a city in China. Later, that virus wreaked havoc that nobody could have ever imagined. Not just cities, states, or countries, but the whole world came to a standstill. There were queues in front of hospitals, and nothing mattered more than the health of citizens.
In India, the situation was no different – lack of proper medical care and a long waiting list for treatment was enough to scare Indian citizens. The cost of medical care reached soaring heights, and there was nothing that health insurance providers were able to do, as the world had faced this scenario for the first time.
Sensing the needs of the hour, the IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) launched two insurance policies, one indemnity-based Corona Kavach covering the cost of the treatment (including room rent, pre-post hospitalisation cost etc.) and another benefit-based Corona Rakshak policy.
Now, coming to a very crucial question, should you buy these plans or not?
The answer to this question may vary from one individual to another. Today, the global pandemic is fading, but the virus is still prevailing, and thus the danger still remains. Hence, buying any one of the plans would not be a poor choice.
Besides my personal view, here are some other reasons why you should buy Corona Kavach or Corona Rakshak:
It is an indemnity-based plan fabricated especially to cover all the treatment costs of the Coronavirus. The policy covers all the hospitalisation and medical expenses and offers coverage starting from ₹ 50,000 to ₹ 5 lakhs. You can use the policy coverage in three different tenures: three and a half, six and a half and nine and a half months by paying the one-time premium.
Benefits of the plan:
- No need to pay monthly premiums; just pay a single premium, and you are insured till your tenure expires
- Unlike Corona Rakshak, the plan offers coverage for both individuals and families
- The plan does not put any capping on the room rent
- The country has already witnessed the severity of the virus in the last two years, and therefore the policy also offers coverage for ICU expenses
- Corona Kavach offers cover for 15 days pre-and 30-days post hospitalisation
- You can get yourself and your family insured if your age is between 18 – 65 years. Also, you can get your child covered from day 1 to 25 years
With all the benefits covered, the plan has some exclusions as well, like expenses of the diseases apart from COVID-19, treatment expenses of COVID-19 before the policy began, no day-care and OPD expenses covered, etc.
This plan is benefit-based and offers coverage only when you get hospitalised due to COVID-19 for more than 72 hours (about 3 days). It provides a total sum assured up to ₹ 2.5 lakhs in a lump sum. While the policy tenure remains the same as Corona Kavach, unlike it, the plan offers coverage for items like PPE Kits, masks, gloves etc.
Benefits of the plan:
- The plan offers total coverage ranging from ₹ 50,000 to ₹ 2.5 lakhs at a premium starting from ₹ 700
- The plan offers a total sum assured in a lump sum if you are tested COVID-19 positive by a government certified centre
- The coverage offered by the plan is on an individual basis only
- The premium paid for the policy allows you to avail of tax benefits under Section 80D
- If the policyholder requires home care for more than 14 days (about 2 weeks) for the treatment of COVID-19, the expenses will be borne by the insurer
After all the benefits of Corona Rakshak, here are some of its exclusions, if you visited any restricted countries or any COVID-19 related tests taken outside the country, etc.
The impact of the pandemic might have gotten lower, but the risk of ailment is still there, and in critical conditions, the treatment can cost you more than lakhs. Hence, it is always better to have the cover handy because you never know what and when anything can happen.