The internet has taken over the world in a big way. It has made any and every product/service available in one part of the world, accessible to people residing in the opposite end of the globe. But just as the internet is bringing people closer, it has also given rise to ‘faceless evils’ or cyber bullies. Cyber attackers have seized this opportunity and have started invading people’s personal data by hacking into their computer system. And, they do not just stop there. They blackmail people for big amounts of cash, threatening to release their private content online if they do not abide by their rules.
If you’re a computer user (which nearly everybody in this era is), then make sure you take good measures to protect your computer from these cyber-attacks. To guide you further on this, mentioned below are a few terms that one should know about cyber security:
- Phishing: This is the most common cyber security that you may be exposed to. It is a fraudulent attempt made by attackers to obtain your sensitive information like passwords and bank details. These are mostly in the form of e-mails, Google docs or a fake company website. The attacker tries to gather your personal information and uses it against you.
- Botnet or bot: The command task can control all the actions in your system. The attacker hacks the system and changes the command task script accordingly. This gives them the freedom to access your personal information without your knowledge.
- Ransomware: It is a subset of malware that can be used to lock the user out of their own system. The only way to decrypt the files is to pay the ransom amount asked by the attacker. A few examples include the Wannacry ransomware and the Jigsaw ransomware.
- Firewall: Going by its name, a firewall typically builds a wall between the internal network and external network of your system. It protects your system from any unwanted attack by blocking external access.
- Data breach: An incident where confidential or important data is attacked by outsiders. Big businesses incur data breach where they lose their security number, employee records and other sensitive information.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network): It provides a secure tunnel between your device and the internet. It keeps you anonymous by hiding your location, while you use the internet.
- Domain: A group of computer systems or devices that are interconnected with common rules and procedure is referred to as a domain. For example, all the computers in a hospital sharing the same IP address will come under a single domain.
As you read more about cyber security, you will realise the importance of having a cyber insurance. Benefits of a cyber insurance plan are vast. It not only helps you protect your personal data, but also keeps your business records, bank statements and other sensitive data safe. At Finserv MARKETS, you can sign up for a Bajaj Allianz Individual Cyber insurance plan, where the cyber policy will provide identity theft coverage, malware related coverage and phishing coverage.
Be aware, be careful and be safe!
“Finserv MARKETS, from the house of Bajaj Finserv is an exclusive online supermarket for all your personal and financial needs. Loans, Insurance, Investment and an exclusive EMI store, all under one roof – anytime, anywhere!”