Being sick with cold can leave you feeling miserable. Most of us have experienced lying in bed with symptoms associated with cold such as fever, chills and body ache. And it is an experience worth forgetting. But did you know that home remedies for cold can help you to alleviate the symptoms associated with the common cold? Yes, these remedies can considerably ease symptoms, like blocked and runny nose. Along with trying home remedies for cold, you should also make it a point to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids, and take proper rest.
Common Symptoms and Causes of Cold
The general symptoms of cold include runny nose, blocked sinus, sore throat, coughing either with mucus or dry, body pain, headache, chills and high temperature. A family of viruses are responsible for the common cold, especially the Rhinoviruses. The virus is contagious, and spreads through air droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also spread through surface contact. In other words, if you are in close proximity to a person infected by the common cold, you run the risk of getting infected.
Now that you know about the symptoms and causes, take a look at the list of home remedies for cold. Remember, these remedies cannot completely cure the cold. But they will definitely provide relief with the symptoms, and might even reduce the duration of the infection.
- Zinc supplementation : This is among the foremost home remedies for running nose and sneezing. Zinc supplementation helps fight Rhinoviruses, and can help shorten the duration of its infection. You can try zinc nasal spray as among the best home remedies for blocked nose. But do remember to take it in moderation as excessive zinc intake can result in other health ailments.
- Chicken soup : The second in our list of home remedies for running nose and sneezing is the humble chicken soup. Having a bowl of hot chicken soup can allow the movement of neutrophils – a type of white blood cell -to stay concentrated in the infected body areas. It will thus allow your body to heal fast. Chicken soup, prepared with other vegetables, is also among the best home remedies for blocked nose.
- Garlic : The third in our list of home remedies for running nose and sneezing is garlic. The pungent herb contains Allicin, which is a compound known for fighting viruses. If you find yourself in the grip of the common cold, try using garlic to ease the symptoms. Garlic is also among the frontrunners, when it comes to selecting the best home remedies for blocked nose.
- Honey : Having antimicrobial properties, honey can act as one of the best home remedies for runny nose. You can also have honey-stirred hot water along with lime juice to treat cough.
- Menthol : Found in various mint plants, menthol has pain-relieving and antibacterial properties. Adding menthol to hot water, and then inhaling the steam is among the best home remedies for runny nose.
- Vitamin D supplementation : You can also alleviate the symptoms of cold by taking Vitamin D supplements. This is especially important in the winter season, when your body doesn’t get enough exposure to the sun. Lack of Vitamin D can result in an increased chance of the common cold infection.
- Probiotics : You can have probiotic foods as among the viable home remedies for runny nose. Probiotic foods such as yogurt contain live-bacteria that promote the health of your digestive tract. It can also fight infections and help shorten the duration of the common cold.
- Echinacea : Extract from this plant is among the best home remedies for cold. You can buy echinacea tea or powder, and consume it to benefit from its anti-viral properties.
- Oregano oil : It is among the best home remedies for cold, thanks to its antibacterial properties.
- Gargling with salt water : This is among the simplest home remedies for running nose and sneezing. It will also ease other symptoms like blocked nose and throat pain. Gargling with warm salt water loosens mucus, thus allowing your body to get rid of the bacteria.
Preventive Tips for Cold
While it is not altogether possible to prevent being infected by the common cold, a healthy lifestyle can go a long way in reducing the chances of catching the infection. Stress and unhealthy lifestyle habits like smoking and alcohol consumption can weaken your immune system, thus making it more prone to infections. Also remember to maintain a regular sleep cycle and consume immune-boosting healthy foods. Regular exercise and meditation practices can also help you to remain healthy.
While you consider the home remedies for cold, do give an emphasis on your overall health too. Are you prepared for an unforeseen medical emergency? Do you have enough finances to take care of the rising medical costs? To protect your health and finances, it is imperative to avail a health insurance policy. You can zero in on the health insurance policies by trusted and reliable insurance partners, available on Finserv MARKETS. Along with hassle-free claim settlements and customized insurance plans, you also get to enjoy tax-benefits on the premium you pay. Remember, the health policies on Finserv MARKETS provide you access to the best medical treatment across a huge network of hospitals across India, that too in a cashless manner. With plans that provide extensive medical coverage, why look anywhere else?