A dry cough is also referred to as an unproductive cough as, unlike a wet cough, it does not produce any phlegm, mucus, or other irritants from one’s lungs. It is common for dry cough to linger for weeks after you recover from the flu or cold. They are also the result of long-lasting exposure to toxins in one’s environment like pollutant particles, cigarette smoke, and more
Symptoms of Dry Cough:
- Itchiness in the throat
- Regular coughing or wheezing
- Trouble Catching one’s breath
- Back pain or chest pain (in severe cases)
- Fever and chills (in severe cases)
A number of clinical treatments can be opted for to alleviate one’s dry cough. There are, however, home remedies for cough that are also effective ways to reduce its symptoms. Here are some cough remedies available in common households.
- Honey: A natural antibacterial, honey can be used both by adults and children over the age of 1 as a remedy for dry coughing. It helps to coat the throat thereby alleviating irritation. Add it to warm water or tea, or simply eat a spoonful to alleviate cough symptoms.
- Turmeric and Black Pepper: Curcumin is an antiviral and anti-inflammatory compound found in turmeric. Curcumin is best absorbed when it is taken with black pepper. Add a teaspoon of turmeric to 1/8th of a teaspoon of black pepper into a beverage like tea or juice.
- Humidifier: Dry coughs can be the result of a dry environment. Using a humidifier to boost the moisture content of one’s surroundings can alleviate one’s cough. If you do not have a humidifier, taking steam over a hot bowl of water with deep breaths is just as good a dry cough remedy.
- Ginger: Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It is typically found in tea or in home-cooked Indian meals as a flavoring ingredient. Adding ginger to one’s tea with a teaspoon of honey will aid in one’s dry cough symptoms alleviating quickly.
- Peppermint: Peppermint contains menthol. Menthol can aid in numbing one’s nerve endings in the throat which become irritated due to constant coughing. This can provide relief from the urge to cough. Additionally, peppermint is also a known decongestant with antibacterial properties.
- Masala Chai: Masala chai contains all kinds of antioxidant ingredients, such as cardamom and cloves. Cloves may also be effective as an expectorant. Add a dash of cinnamon to your chai, which will boost its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Salt Water Gargling: Gargling with salt water is widely practiced among home remedies for dry cough. This dry cough remedy works by killing the bacteria in one’s mouth and throat. Dissolve a teaspoon of table salt in a glass of warm water and gargle several times a day. Avoid swallowing the saltwater.
- Using an Air Purifier: If the air inside your home is swarming with toxins, investing in an air purifier to alleviate a stubborn dry cough is worth every rupee. Air purifiers clear out the pollutants or larger air particles floating in the air to release toxin-free air that is easy on the lungs.
Preventive Tips for Cough
Dry coughs can be the result of an unhealthy lifestyle. If you are surrounded by cigarette smoke or air pollution as a non-smoker, invest in an air purifier for your bedroom. Avoid smoking which can aggravate lung irritability. Incorporate anti-inflammatory foods like the aforementioned herbs and spices into your diet. One way to do so is to drink a cup or two of herbal tea every day. Getting in about 150 to 300 minutes of moderate-intensity cardiovascular exercise each week is also vital when it comes to maintaining healthy lungs.
If you are worried about short term home remedies for dry coughing, why not consider your long term financial health too? The onset of age-related and lifestyle-related illnesses is only growing, so being financially prepared to handle its costs is a smart move. This is where health insurance comes in. With the Health Insurance available on Finserv MARKETS, you can enjoy a host of benefits like hassle-free claim settlements, quick policy issuance and more.
Consider adding health insurance to your portfolio for the sake of your finances. Not only does it protect you during medical emergencies but also can save you income tax liability as per Section 80D. With more than 100 million happy customers across the country, Finserv MARKETS is a trusted platform dedicated to providing you the right financial offerings. Head on to Finserv MARKETS today!