Vehicular traffic on Indian roads is increasing day by day. If you own a car or a bike, or are planning to purchase one in the future, remember to apply for a valid driving licence as soon as possible. The 1988 Motor Vehicle Act of India mandates that everyone driving on Indian roads should not only have a driving licence but also an insurance policy to minimize the financial risks associated with injury or death due to a road accident.
Driving License and its importance
One of the important car insurance documents required for claiming damages after a road mishap is the driving licence. It is proof that you are legally authorised to drive your vehicle in India and are well versed with the traffic rules and regulations to pursue safe driving under all circumstances.
An unlicensed driver is likely to be penalised for the offence of driving without a valid licence. Not only this, it also exposes him or her to the risk of damage to the car or bike, as well as the driver including any other third party in an unforeseen situation. All these reasons underline the importance of a driving licence.
Role in Insurance Claim
According to the guidelines of the Insurance Regulatory Authority of India(IRDA), the driver of a car should be in possession of a permanent driving licence issued by the Regional Transport Office in the area in order to file a claim with his or her car insurance provider.
So, if you have purchased a comprehensive car insurance policy such as the one available on Finserv MARKETS and meet with a minor accident, you will be asked to submit a few papers to process your claim. Having an original driving licence is one of the necessary car insurance documents to ensure that your claim is processed quickly. Absence of this document will lead to your claim being pronounced invalid.
About Learner’s Driving license
Now that you know about the importance of a driving licence in the claims process of your car insurance policy, you also need to understand that the transport department has a step by step process of issuing a driver’s licence. Before you apply for a driving licence, you are required to submit an application for a learner’s licence. You can apply for a driver’s licence between 30 days to 6 months after the date of issue of your learning licence.
Learner’s Driving License features
- It is issued by a competent authority
- It is valid all over India even if it is issued in a specific state or Union Territory in the country
- The validity period is 6 months from the time it is issued
- A learner’s licence holder should pass a driving test at the nearest RTO in order to get a permanent driving licence, one of prerequisite car insurance documents required to file a claim. Upon successful completion of the test, he or she is issued a driver’s licence
Documentation for Learner’s Driving License
You will need the following documents in order to apply for a learner’s licence:
- Age proof: Passport or Birth certificate or SSC certificate or PAN card
- Residence proof: Aadhar card or Voter ID card or Ration card or Passport or previous Income tax returns or electricity, water or telephone bills
Criteria for eligibility
In order to be eligible to drive a vehicle, you need to fulfil the following criteria
- Geared vehicles: You need to be 18 years of age or above to apply for a licence for a vehicle with gear
- Non-geared vehicles: You need to be 16 years of age or above to drive a car or bike without gear
- Additionally, all those applying for a learner’s licence should be aware of the traffic guidelines before submitting the application
Applying for a Permanent Driving license
After you are issued a learner’s licence, you need to wait for at least 30 days before you apply for a permanent driving licence, one of the several car insurance documents required to process your claim request. Here are the various processes you need to go through to avail your valid driving licence:
- Fill the prescribed application form by entering the details of your existing learner’s licence.
- Make the fee payment for both the driving licence and smart card at the nearest RTO in your area.
- Appear for the driving test conducted at the RTO and pass it successfully
- Get your biometrics and photo scanned upon test clearance at RTO
- Once all the above steps are complete, your driving licence in the form of a smart card is dispatched at your address as mentioned in the application
Types of Car Insurance Policy
You can choose from two kinds of car insurance policies as under:
Third party motor insurance:
It is the basic form of car insurance that helps you legally drive on Indian roads. It provides third party liability wherein the insurance provider pays for any damages to the driver or passenger arising due to an accident, subject to policy terms and conditions.
Comprehensive motor insurance:
This plan ensures coverage for the driver and passenger while also providing third party liability. Death or any other injury caused to the driver, repair of the car damaged in the accident as well as passenger coverage are some of the inclusions.
Now that you know about the importance of a driving licence among the list of car insurance documents for the purpose of claim filing, you should also make sure that you decide upon the right motor insurance policy that fulfils your needs. Car Insurance available on Finserv MARKETS is your perfect companion for all seasons with coverage against natural occurrences such as landslides, floods as well as sudden incidents such as riots and thefts that can throw your life out of gear.
Get access to a huge network of garages spread across India for repair and round the clock assistance, that too with an entirely cashless service. You can file your claim online in only a few minutes. A high claim settlement ratio assures you that your claim will be settled in no time. So, choose from the various add on covers as per your own requirements and get a customised car insurance policy available on Finserv MARKETS today!
Finserv MARKETS, a subsidiary of Bajaj Finserv, is a one-stop digital marketplace that has been created for consumers on the go. It offers 500+ financial and lifestyle products, all at one place. At Finserv MARKETS, we understand that every individual is different. And that’s why we have invested in creating a proposition – Offers You Value. A value proposition that ensures you get offers which are tailor made for you. We also offer an amazing product range and unique set of online offers across Loans, Insurance, Investment, Payments and an exclusive EMI store. Be it in helping you achieve your financial life goals or offering you the latest gadgets, we strive to offer what you are looking for. From simple and fast loan application processes to seamless and hassle-free claim-settlements, from no cost EMIs to 4 hours product delivery, we work towards fulfilling all your personal and financial needs. What’s more! Now enjoy the same benefits in just one click with our Finserv MARKETS App.