Have you been worrying about losing your driving licence? Or forgetting it at home and being stopped by the traffic police? We may not want to be in breach of law necessarily but driving without your driving licence is a punishable offence. The good news is that now you can have a digital driving licence, which is considered equally valid.
This has been made possible through the DigiLocker or the mParivahan app. A statement1 issued by the Ministry of Road Transport notified all states to accept electronic versions of the documents as valid for such purposes. According to the statement, as long as the vehicle registration details are updated on the mParivahan/eChallan app, you no longer need the hard copies of even the insurance certificate.
This technology will not just make life convenient for you, but also create an added layer of authenticity in the documents! Under both the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 as well as the Information Technology Act, 2000, these digital formats are recognised as valid. So the next time you’re held up by the traffic police, you can simply show the electronic copies!
Why add your driving licence in digilocker:
Let’s enumerate the benefits of adding your driving licence in the digital locker mParivahan/eChallan app:
- For starters, you no longer need to carry a physical copy of your Driving Licence or other official Identity documents like PAN Card, Voter ID etc. The app has all your documents safe inside. A digital driving licence – you no longer need to worry!
- If you need to apply for a voter ID or PAN Card, you can use the QR code of the DigiLocker.
- As a tangential benefit, all the minute details like the DL number or the PAN number – remain just a few taps of the screen away.
How to use digilocker:
- Using the DigiLocker portal or app is very simple. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is providing the mParivahan app through National Informatics Centre (NIC). As for the DigiLocker, you can visit the official website at https://digilocker.gov.in/
- On the website, you will be required to sign up and register when you use it for the first time.
- Once you’ve set up your username and password, you will receive an OTP, followed by a prompt to choose a 4-digit password – after all of this your mobile app will be secured.
- The final and most important step is to link your Aadhar number with DigiLocker. This is a prerequisite in order to use the mobile app for downloading the documents.
- Once your Aadhar is linked, all your documents can be uploaded, downloaded, viewed, whether these are Driving Licence, PAN, Vehicle Registration Certificate, Insurance, among others.
How to link your diving licence to digilocker
- You can access DigiLocker through either the website https://digilocker.gov.in/ on any device with internet access or on your smartphone by downloading and installing the mobile app. The steps to link the driving licence to DigiLocker are simple:
- One, visit the website or the mobile app
- Two, sign-up (if using it for the first time) or sign-in with username and password. You will need your Aadhar Card for finishing the sign-up process.
- Third, you will find a tab called ‘Issued Documents’ on the left top of the home page
- Then, click on ‘Get Issues Documents’, under ‘Central Government’ menu, select ‘Ministry of Road Transport and Highways’ and then select ‘Driving Licence’.
- A form-type window will show up. Your name, DOB and other details will be automatically listed, all you need to do is enter the driving licence number and submit.
- Finally, head over to the ‘Get Document’ section. Your Driving Licence will be exported here from the database that you uploaded it to.
Now you have a DigiLocker Driving Licence.
How to upload your driving licence on digilocker
If you are required to upload a document on DigiLocker, the process is fairly similar as the one described above. Here’s how to upload driving licence in DigiLocker:
- First, visit either the official website or the mobile app. Login using your username and password.
- After logging in, select the tab called ‘Uploaded Documents’. It will open to a new page.
- Use either the ‘Documents’ or the ‘My Certificates’ folder to store your documents by clicking ‘upload’.
- Select the documents you want to upload and then click on ‘save’.
Having digital copies of important documents helps in emergencies, too. For example, if your car breaks down in the middle of the road, you’d ordinarily be stuck. At that point, you don’t have a lot of time to gather all the paperwork and get things in order. But if you have all documents in DigiLocker and have the Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance at Finserv MARKETS, you don’t need to freak out. Instead, you can just walk-in at one of the nearby network garages and get your car fixed.
The digital infrastructure is here to help you bring more convenience to your life. Make sure you make use of the DigiLocker portal or app and keep all your documents online so you can use them whenever there’s need!
Finserv MARKETS, a subsidiary of Bajaj Finserv, is a one-stop digital marketplace that has been created for consumers on the go. It offers 500+ financial and lifestyle products, all at one place. At Finserv MARKETS, we understand that every individual is different. And that’s why we have invested in creating a proposition – Offers You Value. A value proposition that ensures you get offers which are tailor made for you. We also offer an amazing product range and unique set of online offers across Loans, Insurance, Investment, Payments and an exclusive EMI store. Be it in helping you achieve your financial life goals or offering you the latest gadgets, we strive to offer what you are looking for. From simple and fast loan application processes to seamless and hassle-free claim-settlements, from no cost EMIs to 4 hours product delivery, we work towards fulfilling all your personal and financial needs. What’s more! Now enjoy the same benefits in just one click with our Finserv MARKETS App.