Tourism has always been one of the world’s fastest-growing industries, along with being a great source of revenue for countries across the globe. Tourism has created jobs around the world, even in remote areas where industrialization isn’t prominent and local citizens have to travel abroad to find work.
However, like most other forms of development, tourism also has a flip side to it. While tourism does bring in revenue through multiple activities, it also causes social dislocation, loss of cultural heritage, economic dependence and ecological degradation. Growing awareness regarding these issues has led many people to start seeking sustainable tourism which includes “nature-based tourism”, “cultural tourism” or other forms of tourism which do not damage the original ecosystem of an area in any way.
Sustainable tourism is defined as, “tourism that respects both local people and the traveller, cultural heritage and the environment”. While it is still in a nascent form and is referred to as “alternative” tourism, its rising popularity suggests that it may become the mainstream form of tourism in a decade or so.
If you are traveling abroad, make sure you plan well. A critical part of the planning process is insurance, often a necessity for the visa application process. It does not need to be expensive. For instance, Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance, available on Bajaj Finserv MARKETS, offers insurance premiums for as little as Rs. 308 if you want to travel individually; while family packages start for as low as Rs. 1470. The best travel insurance plan in India will offer you cover against flight delays and even natural disasters, and you can buy travel insurance online in a hassle-free manner.
Continue reading to learn why sustainable tourism is what you should be opting for.
- The local community benefits when you opt for sustainable tourism packages offered by non-profit organizations. These locally owned businesses ensure that your money goes right back to the community, and benefits everybody even long after you have gone.
- You can help conserve natural resources by opting to visit parks and recreational spaces which don’t hurt nature or animals in any way. Many organizations arrange for tours with activities like bird watching or to natural parks, where everything is maintained without interfering with the area’s ecosystem.
- Sustainable tourism provides a more authentic feel to the entire experience of visiting a new place. You can imbibe the culture, learn more about the way people live, learn about their history in more detail than any conventional tourist agency could tell you. Travel is one of the best ways to broaden our horizons and make memories that will last a lifetime. With a travel insurance in place, you can ensure you have a great experience without being worried about falling sick, losing your belongings, missing your flight, etc. A travel insurance covers you against any kind of troubles that you could yourself not have planned for, but could possibly crop up during your holiday.
- Creating better places to live and not just visit is one reason that sustainable tourism changes the lives of those who try it. By practicing sustainable tourism, non-profit organizations can help in the natural ecosystem flourishing, making it a healthier place to live. These organizations can also employ locals to aid in their endeavours. An easy way to patronize the local community’s business is by living in home stays where the owner of the house provides rooms for visiting tourists. This brings you much closer to the local community as you would be eating home-cooked meals, and your hosts could teach you a lot about their history and culture while also pointing out the best places to see in the region, or the best activities to indulge in while you are there.While many of us may worry that the local food might make us sick, the Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance, available on Bajaj Finserv MARKETS, offers coverage against any medical expenses that may be incurred as a result. The insurer has a network of more than 10,000 hospitals across the globe, which ensures that no matter where you are, you can benefit from the different features available under the best travel insurance policy. This will give you the freedom to try out exotic local cuisines, without being concerned about falling sick.
- Sustainable tourism helps avoid displacement of local communities, which is often the result of increasing tourism. Making an area viable for conventional tourists often involves infrastructural development and construction that leads to displacement of local communities.
- You get a shot at a unique, one-of-a-kind experience. Most tourist spots are evolving in a bid to offer the same kinds of experience and services such as adventure sports, spas, treks to the nearest sunset point, and many others. As a result, there are not too many unique spots left in the world where you can experience serenity and nature as much as you would like to. If you opt for a sustainable tourism package, you can rest assured that what you experience at a chosen destination will be unlike anything you have ever experienced before. You can also make an effort to be more conscious, by using bicycles while travelling between spots you wish to visit. A travel insurance policy will allow you to cycle freely down unknown roads and paths, without worrying about any danger. The protection a travel insurance offers is unmatched in terms of any security measures you may have undertaken yourself before heading out.
- Follow the “campsite” rule, meaning leave every place you visit in the same state as you found it in. Make sure to not leave behind any garbage like plastic bags or containers. Carry everything back, including candy wrappers and make sure the place has not been impacted negatively by your visit.
Head out this summer to a village in Europe, and experience for yourself how a sustainable tourism package can change your life and help make memories of a lifetime. Just remember to get the best travel insurance policy before you leave so you are covered even if something goes wrong. Bajaj Allianz Travel Insurance, available on Bajaj Finserv MARKETS, provides you with 24×7 assistance no matter where you are in the world. Buy travel insurance online through Bajaj Finserv MARKETS, and enjoy the benefits offered only under the best travel insurance in India.
Also know what does travel insurance cover
Bajaj Finserv MARKETS, from the house of Bajaj Finserv, is an exclusive online supermarket for all your personal and financial needs. We understand that every individual is different and thus when you plan to achieve your life goals or shop for the gadget of your dreams, we believe in helping you Make it Happen in a few simple clicks. Simple and fast loan application processes, seamless, hassle-free claim-settlements, no cost EMIs, 4 hours product delivery and numerous other benefits. Loans, Insurance, Investment and an exclusive EMI store, all under one roof – anytime, anywhere!