A health insurance policy works for the betterment of every individual irrespective of their class and income group. However, the National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS) significantly focuses on the financial needs of the poor population in India. With NHPS, the Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi took a big step by making the universal healthcare program a success.
Before enrolling for the prime minister health insurance program, here’s everything one can find out about the NHPS Scheme. Let’s begin by first understanding the basics about this scheme:
1. What is NHPS
Being a part of the Ayushman Bharat Yojana, NHPS is the largest healthcare program in India. NHPS offers all the vulnerable families of India with extensive coverage of Rs. 5 Lakhs to manage medical emergencies with ease. It targets over 50 crores of the poor population in the nation. Additionally, it serves the secondary and tertiary health care needs of the people at large.
The health care sector in India has a slow pace. However, the incorporation of the NHPS Scheme helps in the growth of the Indian health care system. Hence, read about why NHPS is essential:
2. Why NHPS
- In the 2014 National Survey Sample Office reports, the out-of-pocket expenditure of the Indian citizens was over 70%, which dragged them into poverty.
- The SECC data confirms that the 21% annual income of the poor families was spent in the treatment of diseases.
- In India, public health expenditure is about 1.3%, which is the lowest in comparison to states like the USA.
- The NHPS Scheme covers 40% of the rural population in India, which in turn decreases poverty and enhances health care.
Under the NHPS Scheme, there are a plethora of benefits offered to vulnerable families. Here’s a closer look at the benefits provided by the scheme:
- It serves every family with definite health coverage of Rs. 5 Lakhs.
- It deducts the expenditure of needy families. Due to the deduction in their out-of-pocket expenses, the poor can invest in education and entrepreneurship.
- It allows insurance providers to expand their services in tier 1 and tier 2 cities of India.
- It increases the productivity of the workers by resolving their health problems.
The NHPS Scheme is a broader and universal concept. Hence, it is essential to understand every aspect of the plan, including its challenges. Take a look below:
- The coverage of Rs. 5 Lakhs is only for the secondary and tertiary hospitalization.
- The public and private hospitals are far away from rural areas. Hence, it is difficult for vulnerable families to commute.
- The increasing medical downfalls fail to gain the trust of a maximum number of people.
- The NHPS Scheme is unable to cover the out-patient expenses of private hospitalization.
To sum up, The NHPS Scheme or Ayushman Bharat Yojana is a quality health scheme for the betterment of the needy. Before enrolling for the plan, check your eligibility on the official government website. If you do not qualify as an applicant, worry not, Bajaj Finserv MARKETS has tailor made plans for you offering a host of health insurance benefits. Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance plans available on Bajaj Finserv MARKETS are an ideal solution to protect your health without letting it affect your mental as well as financial stability. Head to Bajaj Finserv MARKETS to read about what health insurance covers.
Bajaj Finserv MARKETS, from the house of Bajaj Finserv is an exclusive online supermarket for all your personal and financial needs. Loans, Insurance, Investment and exclusive EMI store, all under one roof- anytime, anywhere!