World Cancer Day is celebrated on February 4 every year to honor the efforts put forth by the World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations (UN), government, and non-government health organizations to fight cancer. Along with it, they have also helped in spreading the awareness regarding the disease, the treatments, and precautionary measures that people can incorporate for their own safety.
The primary purpose of celebrating World Cancer Day is to implement new strategies and programs that will help people suffering from the diseases and spread its awareness among others. The event is organized annually by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) and other leading health organizations across the world involved in fighting against cancer.
History of World Cancer Day
World Cancer Day was initiated in Geneva, Switzerland, in the year 1933 by UICC along with the support of several cancer societies, research institutions, treatment centers, and patient groups. It is founded upon the idea to fulfil all the requirements to fight and control the disease.
According to studies, it is observed that more than 12.7 million people are diagnosed with cancer, and over 7 million people die because of it. This day is celebrated to save lives suffering from the disease and to encourage people to understand its symptoms, follow the preventive measures, and keep it from spreading.
World Cancer Day 2020
In the coming year, World Cancer Day 2020 will be celebrated across the globe on Tuesday, February 4. The theme for the event is ‘I am and I will’, same as the year 2019 and will continue in 2021 as well.
On the other hand, Volunteer Services Organization (VSO) planned a festival known as ‘Tarang’ at Manipal, Karnataka on February 3. This event created awareness regarding early cancer detection and had the same theme as that of World Cancer Day. The event was organized and managed by the Manipal Academy of Higher Education and Kasturba Hospital, Manipal.
In cities like Mumbai, over 250 students from BMC schools arranged a tobacco-free life campaign during the World Cancer Day. This initiative was managed by Salaam Bombay – an NGO that helps improve the state of slum lives in big cities.
Common Myths about Cancer
Here’s a list of some common myths surrounding the disease –
- People usually think that cancer tissues are merely health issues. However, it is not
- People believe that cancer is a disease for the rich and wealthy and senior citizens. As a matter of fact, it is a global epidemic that can affect all age groups
- People think that suffering from cancer is somehow a punishment. What they don’t understand and know is that most types of cancer are now treatable
- People believe that cancer is in their fate. But approx. 30% of the cancer cases and treatable and can be prevented further in life
World Cancer Day Themes
Each year, World Cancer Day is celebrated in a particular theme. Here’s a list of it –
- World Cancer Day 2019, 2020, and 2021 – ‘I am and I will’
- World Cancer Day 2016, 2017, and 2018 – ‘We Can. I can’
- World Cancer Day 2015 – ‘Not beyond us’
- World Cancer Day 2014 – ‘Debunk the Myths’
- World Cancer Day 2013 – ‘Cancer: Did you know?’
- World Cancer Day 2012 – ‘Together it is possible’
- World Cancer Day 2011 – ‘Teaching Children and Teenagers to limit their sun exposure by being SunSmart!’
- World Cancer Day 2010 – ‘Vaccinating to prevent virus related liver cancers’
- World Cancer Day 2009 – ‘I love my healthy active childhood’
- World Cancer Day 2008 – ‘Give children and young people a smoke-free environment’
- World Cancer Day 2007 – ‘Today’s children, tomorrow’s world’
Over to You!
Spreading awareness about cancer among all the age groups is essential. As an individual, you should encourage your loved ones to get a full-body medical checkup annually. This will keep them updated on their health conditions (including cancer) so that they can seek treatments accordingly.
Also, to overcome the medical bills and treatment expenses, seek health insurance. With Bajaj Allianz health insurance plans available on Finserv MARKETS, you can benefit from features like extensive coverage, cashless claims, bespoke medical insurance, quick claim settlements, and more.
You can read more about the various health insurance benefits on our online platform to safeguard yourself and your family.
Finserv MARKETS, a subsidiary of Bajaj Finserv, is a one-stop digital marketplace that has been created for consumers on the go. It offers 500+ financial and lifestyle products, all at one place. At Finserv MARKETS, we understand that every individual is different. And that’s why we have invested in creating a proposition – Offers You Value. A value proposition that ensures you get offers which are tailor made for you. We also offer an amazing product range and unique set of online offers across Loans, Insurance, Investment, Payments and an exclusive EMI store. Be it in helping you achieve your financial life goals or offering you the latest gadgets, we strive to offer what you are looking for. From simple and fast loan application processes to seamless and hassle-free claim-settlements, from no cost EMIs to 4 hours product delivery, we works towards fulfilling all your personal and financial needs . What’s more! Now enjoy the same benefits in just one click with our Finserv MARKETS App.