The Indian government, in the 2018 Union Budget, increased the allocation to the AYUSH (Ayurveda, Unani, Yoga, Naturopathy, Siddha, and Homeopathy) Ministry, purposed with developing education and research in these areas of medicine, by more than 13 per cent.
Customers who have been failed by conventional medicines or have suffered side-effects are now being driven to these alternate sources of healing. This highlights the growing relevance and utility of alternative medical systems like homoeopathy in India.
What is homoeopathy?
Homeopathy is an alternative form of a medical system that operates on the principle of ‘Likes cure Likes’, meaning that a substance than is capable of causing can also cure. This means the substances that produce a particular set of symptoms in a healthy individual can treat a sick individual who is showing a similar set of symptoms. Homoeopathy was first brought to India almost 200 years ago by German missionaries who distributed remedies in Bengal. But it was not until 1839 when John Honigberger, a Romanian homoeopath and disciple of the father of homoeopathy, Samuel Hahnemann, successfully treated the then ruler of Punjab, Maharaja Ranjit Singh, in Lahore that homoeopathy gained the royal patronage that enabled it to take root in India. India is one of the few countries that not only recognises homoeopathy officially but has also included it in the curriculum of its medical universities.
Growing popularity of homoeopathy in India
Since its inception, homoeopathy has faced strong criticism and hostile attitude from the mainstream medical community as it was derived from a different philosophy. Despite this strong aversion, homoeopathy has survived for centuries and it is fast gaining traction and popularity in India. This growing popularity can be attributed to the following reasons.
- Homoeopathy medicine is natural and safe to use across all age groups. It is cost-effective and can be used alongside allopathy or any other system of medicine. A Bajaj Finserv Personal Loan can be availed seamlessly on Finserv MARKETS, enabling you to finance your treatment without worry. Bajaj Finserv Personal Loans are collateral-free, giving you the flexibility you desire. You can avail Bajaj Finserv hybrid flexi personal loan at Finserv MARKETS by paying up to 45% lower EMI, in addition to other benefits like flexible repayment tenure and minimal documentation.
- Homoeopathy treats the root symptoms of the disease, rather than masking it temporarily and the treatment is tailored to each individual. In practicing homoeopathy, the physician selects medicines based on the complete history profile of a patient, including their lifestyle, emotional and mental states and physical condition. A single medicine should cover all the symptoms that afflict the patient.
- It saves the patients of painful surgical procedures used in conventional medical systems that can have a traumatic effect on the patient’s mind. It is believed to be a healthy medication that can have long term benefits.
- The Government of India is promoting an integrated system of medicine wherein top medical institutes like All India Institute Of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) facilities across India also have a homoeopathic division. There has been a 50% rise in footfalls of patients seeking homeopathic treatments in the last five years at 23 institutes under Central Council for Research in Homeopathy (CCRH) in India. Also, there are over 2.5 lakh registered homoeopathy practitioners in India, with around 15,000 new practitioners being added annually. These new practitioners can easily avail medical practice loans from several financial institutions to establish their practice. For instance, a Bajaj Finserv medical practice loan is available collateral-free at Finserv MARKETS, giving doctors the financing they need to open up their own clinic.
The surge in popularity of homoeopathy has sparked a new era where the responsibility lies in undertaking quality research. Although, there are considerably more laboratory and clinical research on homoeopathic medicine than most people realize, much more research is certainly needed. Not simply to answer the questions of sceptics but to help homoeopaths optimize their use of these powerful natural medicines. To improve the quality of homoeopathy research in India, the following measures can be taken.
- Increase the number of research centres As the most ideal places for conducting research activities in Homoeopathy are the universities, an attempt should be made to identify suitable institutions with adequate infrastructure and staff in different States for this purpose. By giving guidance and necessary financial assistance, these institutions can be made to attract youngsters for undertaking research work.
- Form a Research Cadre with General Practitioners A serious attempt should be made to evolve a ‘Researcher Cadre’ by involving General Practitioners in both private and public sectors for clinically oriented research in Homoeopathy. Interested and talented practitioners with the necessary aptitude to research may be drafted into the National Cadre of Researchers in Homoeopathy and they may be given the necessary guidance, with formats for doing specific projects which they come across in their clinical practice.
- Literary Research Many Homoeopathic books, in course of time, need updating and revision. The possibility for conducting literary research and developing and revising the books in Homoeopathy may be explored at the University level. For this, necessary financial provisions may be made by the Central Government.
Homoeopathy has great potential and variety in serving humanity spread over varying areas of health care. Backed with adequate research, some chronic ailments can be identified to assess the relative range of Homoeopathy in preference over other systems of medicine.
Also read how you can avail a tax benefit on personal loan only at Finserv MARKETS.
“Finserv MARKETS, from the house of Bajaj Finserv, is an exclusive online supermarket for all your personal and financial needs. We understand that every individual is different and thus when you plan to achieve your life goals or shop for the gadget of your dreams, we believe in helping you Make it Happen in a few simple clicks. Simple and fast loan application processes, seamless, hassle-free claim-settlements, no cost EMIs, 4 hours product delivery and numerous other benefits. Loans, Insurance, Investment and an exclusive EMI store, all under one roof – anytime, anywhere!”