If you’ve been putting off your New York travel plans, now might be a great time to book those tickets. The New York Comedy Festival is scheduled to begin on the 4th of November, and with a line-up that includes 100+ shows and over 200 comedians, it’s guaranteed to be a week-long laughter riot. Before you pack your bags, however, make sure you’re backed by international travel insurance, available on Finserv MARKETS, so your trip abroad is smooth and worry-free. Read through your travel insurance policy to understand what’s covered and what isn’t.
And while you’re in the Big Apple, there are tons of places that you absolutely need to visit. Here’s a list of 12 must-see sights you shouldn’t miss.
- Central Park: If you’re outdoorsy, Central Park needs to be first on your list. Having been the location of choice for many movies and TV shows, Central Park isn’t the most visited park in the USA for nothing. You can walk along the park, enjoy a carriage ride, play a sport, or simply watch as the colors of fall give way to the hues of winter.
- The Statue of Liberty: The Statue of Liberty stands tall and proud on Liberty Island. Take the ferry to this island to see this iconic landmark up close. You can take a tour around the base, read up on the history of the statue, and if you have advance reservations, you can even go all the way up to the crown.
- Broadway: When in New York City, watching a play or a show on Broadway is almost a rite of passage. There’s no dearth of entertainment in the city’s theater district, and you can choose to attend one of the most recent shows or to watch any of the long-running masterpieces. Remember to purchase your tickets in advance for a better experience.
- The New York Public Library: If you’re a bibliophile, your New York travel plans would be incomplete if you didn’t stop by at The New York Public Library, also known as Stephen A. Schwarzman Building. The landmark is colossal, with the Main Reading Room alone extending up to two blocks. There is also a Periodicals Room that houses around 10,000 magazines.
- The High Line: If there’s one city that can transform an abandoned railway line into a quirky public park with great views, it’s New York. True to its name, the place is an elevated linear park that offers some stunning views of the city. As you walk along, you’ll find rows of native trees, art installations, and bleacher-style seats where you can rest a while.
- Carnegie Hall: This historic landmark opened to the public in 1891, and for over a century, it has remained one of the most popular concert halls in Midtown Manhattan. You could either experience a performance at the hall, or, if you don’t get lucky with the tickets, you could take a guided tour that ends at the Rose Museum.
- The Empire State Building: At 443 meters tall, the Empire State Building has 102 floors. On the 86th, there’s an open-air observation deck from where you can drink in panoramic views of the city and see other landmarks like the Hudson River, Central Park, and the Brooklyn Bridge. Up on the topmost floor, there’s an indoor observation deck where the views are even better, if that’s possible.
- Greenwich Village: Your New York travel plans needn’t be all about the skyscrapers. Head to Greenwich Village in Lower Manhattan to enter an entirely different world where a Bohemian vibe prevails. Take long walks around the neighborhoods in this residential part of the city, catch a show at the Cherry Lane Theater, and unwind by people watching for a while.
- Rockefeller Center: Originally built in the 1930s and later on expanded to add more elements, the Rockefeller Center is an expansive entertainment complex that includes 14 original Art Deco building and five other buildings added later. You can catch a movie there, dine at some of the finest restaurants, and splurge on some much-needed shopping.
- Coney Island: If your New York travel plans require family-friendly destinations, Coney Island is right at the top of the list. Ride on the Coney Island Cyclone and the Thunderbolt Roller Coaster, gorge on lip-smacking street food, watch a movie on the beach, and if you’re up for it, try the parachute jump or explore the underwater aquarium.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Known simply as The Met, the Metropolitan Museum of Art houses over two million works of art in its permanent collection, which spans across a period of 5,000 years. On display are Egyptian art, historical photographs, American decorative art, musical instruments, Renaissance art, and costumes and clothing. To truly get the best experience, opt for the VIP: Empty Met Tour to tour the museum with only 25 people before the general public is allowed.
- Times Square: Ah! Times Square! No trip to NYC is complete without experiencing the vibe around Times Square. Being a busy pedestrian zone, this is where you should head to if people watching is your thing. With vibrant billboards and neon signs lighting up the place in the evening, and with street performers adding to the energy, there’s never a dull day at Times Square.
So, if you’re heading to NYC as the comedy festival begins, you have a full list of places to see in-between catching comedy shows through the week. With your itinerary planning itself, all you need to do to make your trip fun and smooth is to ensure your vacation is covered by Bajaj Allianz travel insurance, available on Finserv MARKETS.
A travel insurance policy can help mitigate damage in case of loss of baggage, personal accidents, trip delays, flight cancellations, or medical emergencies. It’s advisable to read the fine print on your policy carefully, so you know exactly what your travel insurance covers.
“Finserv MARKETS, a subsidiary of Bajaj Finserv, is a one-stop digital marketplace that has been created for consumers on the go. It offers 500+ financial and lifestyle products, all at one place. At Finserv MARKETS, we understand that every individual is different. And that’s why we have invested in creating a proposition – Offers You Value. A value proposition that ensures you get offers which are tailor made for you. We also offer an amazing product range and unique set of online offers across Loans, Insurance, Investment, Payments and an exclusive EMI store. Be it in helping you achieve your financial life goals or offering you the latest gadgets, we strive to offer what you are looking for. From simple and fast loan application processes to seamless and hassle-free claim-settlements, from no cost EMIs to 4 hours product delivery, we work towards fulfilling all your personal and financial needs. What’s more! Now enjoy the same benefits in just one click with our Finserv MARKETS App.”