A recent global survey has proved that Gen Z in countries such as India, Thailand and Russia are bitten by the wanderlust bug. They would rather spend their money travelling than own a home, go for higher education or even save for their retirement. You might agree with this if you are also an adventure junkie who likes the wind in your hair while driving his bike. There is nothing that can beat the thrill of a bike road trip.
Royal Enfield, the world’s oldest motorcycle brand has almost quadrupled its sales in India since 2010 when it sold merely 20,000 units. In February 2018, the number rose to 74,000. The brand’s rise is testament to how India’s bikers are embracing travel as a lifestyle and identify it with belonging and purpose that it brings in their lives. With winter already here, are you thinking about dusting off your motorcycle and getting ready for bike road trip? Make sure to pack essentials, gather information on the route and do a thorough bike check before embarking on your trip.
1. Manali to Leh: This 65 km long stretch is on the bucket list of most experienced bikers. After all, it comprises two passes more than 16,000 feet above sea level. A winter bike trip overlooking the majestic Himalayas is for the daredevils after all!
2. Kalka to Shimla: You might have taken a toy train ride on this 70km long route but cruising on your bike as the snowflakes fall all around you is going to be a sight to behold!
3. Sonmarg to Gulmarg: Soak in the pristine white winter of Kashmir on this 123 km long journey and indulge the adventurer in you. Stop for a cup of piping hot kahwa on the way!
4. Guwahati to Tawang: This is one of the best routes for winter biking in India during December. Prepare to be amazed by the jaw-dropping beauty of rugged mountains on the way covered with snow on this 500 km long trip. Be sure to take short breaks in between so that you get adequate rest. Driving continuously can be tiring.
5. Narkanda to Sangla: Not many are aware of this picturesque stretch that is even more enticing for a winter bike trip. Be cautious since the roads might be covered with ice and your bike might be prone to skidding. Be sure to take bike insurance available on Finserv MARKETS which offers adequate coverage in case of an accident.
6. Srinagar to Jawahar: Experience driving inside a tunnel on this 120 km long route in Kashmir during the winter. It can be quite an experience. Remember to drive safely.
7. Pelling to Darjeeling: You might witness the season’s first snowfall on this short stretch of 72 km if you are in time for winter biking in Darjeeling. If crowds of motorcycles leave you frustrated, you might like the seclusion that Pelling offers and love your ride even more!
8. Gangtok to Zuluk: A winter bike trip on this 91 km stretch is a must for any adrenaline driven motorcycle enthusiast. Challenge yourself with 96 bends on your way to Zuluk and give yourself a pat on the back when you complete this magical trip overlooking some breathtaking views of the valley.
9. Jaipur to Pushkar: If you prefer riding through Rajasthan, go for this 150 km bike road trip that will take you through the lake city of Udaipur and the hilly terrain of Mount Abu to the holy town of Pushkar. Don’t forget to savour the food on the way!
10. Ahmedabad to Rann of Kutch: At 767 kms, this is perhaps the longest route you might have ever taken. It might also be the most unique experience ever traversing the vast expanse of the Rann, especially if you manage to make it on a full moon night! It would be mesmerizing!
Winter biking can be a thrilling experience. However the cold weather can be a dangerous time for a trip. Sleet on the road makes it more slippery and hence prone to accidents while the snowfall can block your vision ahead while driving. Hence it is important to buy bike insurance that protects you in the event of an accident.
Bike insurance on Finserv MARKETS are available with premiums starting at just Rs. 482 a year and covers you against theft and damage to your bike due to any natural or man made calamity. An easy online application process is a plus. Just log on to Finserv MARKETS, enter your personal details as well as those of your bike, make your premium payment and get your bike insurance. Simple!
Finserv MARKETS, a subsidiary of Bajaj Finserv, is a one-stop digital marketplace that has been created for consumers on the go. It offers 500+ financial and lifestyle products, all at one place. At Finserv MARKETS, we understand that every individual is different. And that’s why we have invested in creating a proposition – Offers You Value. A value proposition that ensures you get offers which are tailor made for you. We also offer an amazing product range and unique set of online offers across Loans, Insurance, Investment, Payments and an exclusive EMI store. Be it in helping you achieve your financial life goals or offering you the latest gadgets, we strive to offer what you are looking for. From simple and fast loan application processes to seamless and hassle-free claim-settlements, from no cost EMIs to 4 hours product delivery, we work towards fulfilling all your personal and financial needs. What’s more! Now enjoy the same benefits in just one click with our Finserv MARKETS App.