India, over the years, has introduced a lot of prehistoric and modern world marvels. Ayurveda, an ancient medical technique, is one of those. Ayurveda, a plant-based medical treatment, was given to the world by India more than 5000 years ago, and it still prevails.
Today, health care has grown exponentially, and we all seek instant results. Thus, these long-lived techniques have gotten overshadowed by allopathy. However, even in these magnificent technological medical times, Ayurveda has not stopped amazing us. Therefore, to preserve these health care wonders, the Indian government in 2014 formed an AYUSH ministry.
Earlier in 2013, IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) advised every health insurance provider to provide coverage for the expenses incurred due to medical treatment through Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH).
Hence, yes, your health insurance does cover ayurvedic treatments. It allows policyholders to get the benefits of alternative medical treatment.
One of the main contributors to the likeliness of AYUSH treatment is its comparatively low cost. In recent years, many people have shifted to alternate ways of treatment and ayurvedic is one of the most common ones. Not just that, there have been a lot of transitions from usual medical techniques to the AYUSH due to the rising price of health care. For example, yoga is now acclaimed globally for its unique healing qualities.
1. Similarly, here are some of the other benefits of AYUSH cover included in your health insurance policy:
- The expense incurred for the ayurvedic treatment is less compared to usual medical techniques.
- Policyholders can get coverage from any part of the country and finding alternative medical care in most parts of the country is easy.
- You can effortlessly shift from allopathic medicines to ayurvedic without worrying about the finances.
- It is a comprehensive medical technique which fills gaps in modern-day healthcare.
- It takes care of modern lifestyle diseases like hypertension, diabetes, addiction to tobacco etc.
2. Let us look at some of the exclusions of the AYUSH cover:
- The expense of hospitalisation of fewer than 24 hours is not covered.
- The OPD and daycare procedures under AYUSH are not covered.
- AYUSH treatment taken somewhere else other than the hospital does not get covered.
- Costs incurred for Lab tests or diagnostic procedures also get excluded.
- The expense of rejuvenation procedures like spas, massages etc., are not provided.
3. Before you hurry, here are a few crucial factors to consider:
- Nowadays, various insurance companies provide the AYUSH treatment cover, but there are a few who do not. Hence, you need to ensure that your insurance provider does cover the treatment.
- Get familiar with all the conditions of making a claim, as different providers have different terms, which you will have to fulfil to make a claim.
- The total coverage allowed for alternate treatment varies from insurer to insurer. Hence, make sure you read all the terms before raising a claim.
- When you choose AYUSH treatment cover as an add-on with your health insurance policy, the premium for the same will increase.
- You can only get the cover with a regular health insurance plan. There is still no standalone insurance available for this alternate treatment cover.
Alternate medical treatment techniques like ayurvedic or yoga etc., have worked where all the technologically enabled medical services failed. AYUSH treatment has various benefits, and one of the crucial ones is they do not have any side effects. Hence, if you find any of the advantages beneficial for yourself, go ahead, and get them included in your health insurance.