Owning a car is no longer a privilege of the few, but rather a fundamental necessity in modern life. If you’re in the process of moving to a new state, you’ve got enough to worry about already. While moving your belongings is not exactly easy, moving your vehicle is an entirely different ballgame. You may already have a motor insurance and you may think you have it all under control but each state comes with a different set of traffic laws. What are you supposed to do if you’re in a road accident? How do motor insurance policies differ in the state you are moving to? Let’s dive into the process of moving your vehicle and vehicle insurance from one state to another.


Being offered a new job with a higher salary is exciting. However, moving to a new state could be stressful when it comes to transferring your vehicle among other things. It is imperative to abide by the law and avoid penalties by completing the required paperwork within the stipulated time period. For example, you are in Delhi and you have been transferred to Mumbai, then you should obtain the NOC from the RTO in Delhi before transferring your car to Mumbai. Once you obtain the NOC, you can transfer your car to Mumbai and obtain a new registration number in Mumbai. Do you want to get your car transferred from one state to another within India? Were you wondering where to start and how to get it right? Here are five things that you should know while transferring your car interstate:


1. Get a State transfer NOC from the bank:

If you have availed a loan to finance the car you own, you would first need to contact the bank and attain a NOC from them. Visit the bank and submit the necessary documents such as the address proof of your new location, reason for transfer (job transfer, etc). The bank will then verify your application of transfer and if all the documents are legitimate, they will hand you a NOC.


2. Apply for NOC from the RTO where you vehicle is registered:

 Assuming you are moving from Delhi, you have to submit the required form at the RTO for an NOC. Form 27 and Form 28 are required to be submitted along with a copy of the NOC you obtained from the bank and other documents such as:


As soon as the NOC is obtained from the RTO, you are good to start the process of transferring your car from one city to another.


3. Re-registration after transferring your car:

Once your car is relocated, you have to approach the RTO for re-registration of the number. Initially, it would have been a DL number and now you are applying for MH number (assuming you are transferring from Delhi to Mumbai). You will have to check if there are any special requirements related to owning car insurance in Mumbai. You would also have to visit the RTO again and submit an application along with following main documents


After you have submitted the documents, the RTO will take a few days to issue your registration number. Moreover, you don’t need to get a new registration number if you have moved your vehicle temporarily. For example, if you are going on a project assignment for 9-10 months then according to the rules, you don’t need to apply for a new registration. You can drive your car without hassle for up to 12 months without obtaining a registration number in the state you have moved to. Remember, all these details also have to be updated in your vehicle insurance documentation.


1. Road tax:

You should be aware that road taxes are different in every state. So you must either pay the difference or get a refund from the new state—depending upon the taxation. You could pay one year’s road tax if you intend to stay for a year in most states. For longer periods, you need to pay a life-time tax and claim a refund if you move out of the state. Furthermore, a Group of State Transport Ministers are set to make this process slightly easier and cheaper for you with no levy on inter-state transfer. The National Informatics Centre (NIC) has created two central online databases: Vahan-4 for vehicle registration details and Sarathi-4, which can be accessed by the issuing authority to delete the existing registration number or licence before issuing a new one after receiving an application.


2. Refund of road tax:

If the original place of registration is in Delhi (for instance), and you have paid a lifetime road tax and have then decided to move, you could file for a refund. Either way, you would need to pay road tax in the city you have moved to. To do this, you would first have to re-register your car in the new city and then file for a refund from the RTO. Here’s the process of refund of road tax:


Once you submit these documents along with the application seeking refund of road tax (form 16), the RTO in Delhi will contact RTO Mumbai to authenticate the registration number. They will ask for an intimation called CRTI (Confirmation of Registration Transfer Intimation). On receipt of the CRTI from the RTO authorities, the old RTO office will process your refund request. You are required to have patience since it can take up to six months to get your refund processed.


The process of inter-state vehicle transfer can be a complicated process, thus, it is advisable to gather information with just one click by visiting the Bajaj Finserv MARKETS website, which aims to give you the latest information on vehicle insurance. The portal is also a great destination to purchase a policy due to its seamless online buying process. Consider purchasing a comprehensive motor insurance cover and a range of add-on covers for enhanced protection and higher savings in the long run. Have you heard of NCB? No claim bonus is provided to you if you have not made any claim and decide to renew your vehicle insurance policy. Bajaj Allianz Motor Insurance offers No-claims bonus up to 50%. This policy, available on Finserv MARKETS also allows you access to a network of over 4,000 garages that service cashless claims, giving you a hassle-free experience.