✓ Fast Processing ✓ Great Discounts & Offers ✓ Easy EMI Facility | Apply for Credit Card now! Check Eligibility

Purity of Gold: Different Gold Karats

The purity of gold depends on karat, which measures the ratio of pure gold to that of other alloys in jewellery, coin or bar. Typically, if the quantity of gold is more in a particular piece of gold item, its purity will be higher. 


Depending on the purity level, the types of gold karat vary between 10k, 14k, 18k, 22k and 24k. The following sections describe what the various karats of gold mean.

  • 24 Karat 

A 24 karat gold is free from other alloys. Thus, it is the purest form of gold. It has a bright golden colour and is more expensive than other types of gold. Because the gold density is lower than that of lower karats, it is extremely soft and unsuitable for regular jewellery.


In the market, 24k gold is available in the form of bars and coins. Furthermore, 24k gold is used to manufacture various medical and electronic devices.

  • 22 Karat 

22k gold is widely used in the making of everyday jewellery and ornaments. Jewellers mix two parts of other alloys with 22 parts of gold to harden the gold texture. This makes the jewellery long-lasting and suitable for everyday use. Of 100%, 91.67% is pure gold, while the remaining 8.33% is a mix of other metals such as nickel, zinc or silver.


This is one of the most used types of gold karat. Although it is the most commonly used form of gold for regular jewellery, it is not the best choice for making heavy gold jewellery such as diamonds and other gemstones, which have their own weights. It cannot firmly hold the gemstones for everyday use. As a result, you can frequently se it in wedding jewellery, which are great for occasional use.

  • 18 Karat 

18k gold features up of 75% gold and 25% other metals. Jewellers use this gold primarily in the manufacturing of watches, rings, and other wearable accessories. It is also less expensive than 22k and 24k gold. In addition, its bright and vibrant yellow colour makes it an excellent choice for engagement rings.


Because the amount of metal in 18k gold jewellery is lower and does not cause metal allergies, it is also ideal for daily use.

  • 14 Karat 

14 karat gold ornament is one of the cheapest types of gold karats. It consists of 41.7% alloys and 58.3% gold. It is less expensive than 18k, 22k, and 24k gold because it contains only 14 parts pure gold. The presence of more other metals, such as nickel, silver, zinc and copper, prevent wear and tear. Not only that, but it is also harder and more durable, and jewellers use it to make activewear jewellery.


14k gold is a pale yellow colour many seek in lockets and pendants. It is also ideal for making heavy-studded jewellery.

  • 10 Karat 

10k gold contains 41.7% gold, and the rest is a mixture of other alloys. This form of gold contains less pure gold, making it ordinary and susceptible to damage. However, it is strong and does not pose the risk of causing a scratch.

It has a paler undertone because it is the cheapest type of gold. Manufacturers primarily use 14k gold in the production of simple rings and chains.

What Type of Gold is Mostly Used in Making Jewellery

Typically, manufacturers use 22 karat gold in the making of jewellery. Since it contains 92% gold and 8% other alloys, it is suitable for making a sturdy and long-lasting piece of jewellery. At the same time, you can find ornaments with 24 karat gold, which are fixed with other metals to present a sturdy look. They are also as a costlier option.


Additionally, jewellery featuring 18k, 14k and 10k is also a viable option, considering they are ideal for everyday use. They are also cheaper and present a shiny and sturdy look. 

Which Type of Gold is Ideal for Daily Use

For daily use, you need to purchase the type of gold karat that is wearable and presents a sturdy look. In this regard, you can choose jewellery made with 18k or below. Since these ornaments feature a higher content of other alloys, they are strong, which prevents regular wear and tear. On the other hand, you can consider purchasing 22 karat jewellery for occasional wear during parties or weddings.


The type of gold karat you choose depends on your preferences and objectives. It also depends on whether you choose to purchase gold jewellery, coins or bars, as all of them serve different purposes. However, before deciding, consider checking this precious metal's certification and authenticity. You must also conduct proper market research before purchasing a gold item of your choice. 


What karat gold is used in electronics?

Usually, 24-karat gold is used in electronic devices, as it is a great conductor of electricity and does not corrode.

How many types of gold are available in India?

In India, gold is generally available in 5 types, based on its purity. These include 24-karat, 22-karat, 18-karat, 14-karat, 12-karat and 10-karat gold.

Loan Offer
Download App